[Beowulf] Update on dealing with Spectre and Meltdown

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Thu Mar 8 10:10:15 PST 2018

Beowulfers,

Have any of you updated the kernels on your clusters to fix the Spectre
and Meltdown vulnerabilities? I was following this issue closely for the
first couple of weeks. There seemed to be a lack of consensus on how
much these fixed would impact HPC jobs, and if I recall correctly, some
of the patches really hurt performance, or caused other problems. We
took a wait-and-see approach here. So now that I've waited a while, what
did you see?

--
Prentice