[Beowulf] Intel motherboard BMC

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 21 03:02:40 PDT 2018

Hello Jorg. As you know I have worked a lot with Supermicro machines.
I also installed Intel machines for Greenwich University, so I have
experience of setting up IPMI on them.
I will take time to try to understand your problem!
Also Intel provides excellent documentation for all its products. Really.
But you must get the correct part number and search for it.
I really recommend finding the BMC manual, as I recall that made things a
lot clearer.

One quick question - are you using the on-board ethernet interface for IPMI
or are you using the additional hardware module which has its own ethernet
port?

> It also has a InfiniBand card which does allow booting from it.
You can PXE boot over a Mellanox Infiniband card. As you probably know this
involves installing extra firmware on the card.
In my last job we had an IB only cluster, so booting over IB had to work!
I guess you do nto need to flash the card, but to be honest running the
utility is not scary. You just have to get the exact firmware for your card.