[Beowulf] Project Natick

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Fri Jun 8 19:07:51 PDT 2018

On Saturday, 9 June 2018 6:36:05 AM AEST Lux, Jim (337K) wrote:

> Where, exactly, is this... I spent a week in Orkney a few years ago (we
> drove up from Glasgow, also an interesting proposition) - it's worth a
> visit for the prehistoric archaeology (largest prehistoric settlement still
> preserved at Skara Brae, for instance, but realistically the dig at the
> Ness of Brodgar (http://www.nessofbrodgar.com/) is more interesting.

+lots (it's on my bucket list)

Off topic - if you are interested in UK archaeology then I can strongly
recommend Current Archaeology magazine (they have been covering the various
digs in Orkney over the past few years).  Their website has this review of the
state of Orkney archaeology from 2016 (which includes the discovery that
timber buildings predate the familiar stone buildings there).

https://www.archaeology.co.uk/articles/features/a-tale-of-two-neolithics.htm

> Did they sink it off the northern coast in Kirkwall or on the south side at
> Scapa Flow? (where there's plenty of sunken ships to keep it company)

Neither, it's at the Billia Croo wave test site which is on the western side
of Mainland:

http://www.emec.org.uk/facilities/wave-test-site/

# Subjected to the powerful forces of the North Atlantic Ocean, it is an area
# with one of the highest wave energy potentials in Europe with an average
# significant wave height of 2 – 3 metres, but reaching extremes of up to 17m
# (the highest wave recorded by EMEC so far).  The site consists of five
# cabled test berths in up to 70m water depth (four at 50m, one deeper),
# located approximately 2km offshore and 0.5km apart. In addition to this, a
# near shore berth is situated closer to the substation for shallow water
# projects.

PDF map here:

http://www.emec.org.uk/?wpfb_dl=164

cheers!