[Beowulf] shared compute/storage WAS: Re: Lustre Upgrades

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 06:45:15 PDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 9:30 AM, John Hearns via Beowulf
<beowulf at beowulf.org> wrote:
>>in theory you could cap the performance interference using VM's and
>>cgroup controls, but i'm not sure how effective that actually is (no
>>data) in HPC.
>
> I looked quite heavily at performance capping for RDMA applications in
> cgroups about a year ago.
> It is very doable, however you need a recent 4-series kernel. Sadly we were
> using 3-series kernels on RHEL

interesting, though i'm not sure i'd dive that deep.  for one i'm
generally restricted to rhel, so that means a 3.x kernel right now.

but also i feel like this might be an area where VM's might provide a
layer of management that containers don't.  i could conceive that the
storage and compute VM's might not necessarily run the same kernel
version and/or O/S

i'd also be more amenable to having two high speed nic's both IB or
one IB one 40GigE, one each for the VM's, rather then fair-sharing the
work queues of one IB card

dunno, just spit balling here.  maybe something sticks enough for me
to standup something with my older cast off hardware