[Beowulf] Lustre Upgrades

Joe Landman joe.landman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 14:11:55 PDT 2018

On 07/25/2018 04:36 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> Paging Dr. Joe Landman, paging Dr. Landman...

My response was

"I'd seen/helped build/benchmarked some very nice/fast CephFS based
storage systems in $dayjob-1.  While it is a neat system, if you are
focused on availability, scalability, and performance, its pretty hard
to beat BeeGFS.  We'd ($dayjob-1) deployed several very large/fast file
systems with it on our spinning rust, SSD, and NVMe units."

at the bottom of the post.

Yes, BeeGFS compares very favorably to Lustre across performance,
management, resiliency dimensions.  Distributed replicated metadata and
data is possible, atop zfs, xfs, etc.  We sustained >  40GB/s in a
single rack of spinning disk in 2014 at a customer site using it, no
SSD/cache implicated, and using 56Gb IB throughout.  Customer wanted to
see us sustain 46+GB/s writes, and we did.

These are some of our other results with it:

https://scalability.org/2014/05/massive-unapologetic-firepower-2tb-write-in-73-seconds/

https://scalability.org/2014/10/massive-unapologetic-firepower-part-2-the-dashboard/
(that was my first effort with Grafana, and look at the writes ...
vertical scale is 10k MB/s, aka 10GB/s increments.

W.r.t. BeeGFS, very easy to install, you can set it up trivially on
extra hardware to see it in action.  Won't be as fast as my old stuff,
but that's the price people pay for not buying the good stuff when it
was available.