[Beowulf] Fortran is Awesome

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Mon Dec 3 08:51:12 PST 2018

One misunderstanding people have about Fortran is that they always want
to compare it to C. C is more of a 'general purpose' language that was
originally designed for low-level programming tasks, like programming
operating systems without using assembly. On the other hand, Fortran is
a domain-specific language meant for one specific purpose: numerical
programming.

Comparing these two languages to each other is like comparing an SUV to
a Ferrari. The have completely different design goals, so have
completely different strengths and weaknesses.  Once you explain that to
someone who says "OMG! You know people who still use Fortran", they
usually get it.

Prentice