[Beowulf] What is rdma, ofed, verbs, psm etc?

Faraz Hussain info at feacluster.com
Wed Sep 20 08:03:28 PDT 2017

Thanks Peter for the high level overview! A few followup questions.
What if I am using a non-Infiniband cluster, i.e something with
10gigE.  Or even slower like at my home I have a raspbery pi cluster
with 100 Mbps ethernet. Is ofed/psm/verbs all irrelevant? If so, what
would their equivalents be? I assume RDMA is still applicable since I
can run openmpi on these clusters.

Another question, who is typically responsible for tuning
ofed/psm/verbs etc on an Infiniband cluster? Is it generally the
vendor who builds the cluster or the sys.admin? My role has always
been more user-facing application support. But I am wondering how much
time I should invest in learning the inner workings of ofed/psm/verbs
etc?