[Beowulf] cluster deployment and config management

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 6 02:46:19 PDT 2017

On 09/05/2017 07:14 PM, Stu Midgley wrote:
> I'm not feeling much love for puppet.

I'm pretty fond of puppet for managing clusters.  We use cobbler to go from PXE
boot -> installed, then puppet takes over.

Some of my favorite features:
* Inheritance is handy node -> node for a particular cluster -> compute node ->
  head node
* Tags for handling users is handy, 1200 users, dozen clusters, and various
  other bits of infrastructure makes it really easy to manage who gets access
  to what.
* I like the self healing aspect, defining the system state, not how to get
  there.  That way if I need to repurpose, patch, or mistakenly make a node
  unique in some way the next puppet run fixes it.
* Definitely helps with re-use across clusters.  Makes for a higher incentive
  to do it right the first time.
* Using facts to make decisions is really useful.  Things like detecting if you
  are a virtual machine, or updating autofs maps if IB is down.