[Beowulf] GPFS and failed metadata NSD

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Fri May 19 08:06:43 PDT 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:33 AM, John Hanks <griznog at gmail.com> wrote:
> Given the number of floppy disks, Zip disks, Jaz drive cartridges, USB thumb
> drives, dead laptops,... I've been handed over the years the one constant
> take home lesson is that you can never stop educating people (including
> yourself) about the importance of keeping multiple copies of critical data
> no matter how stable the storage you use claims to be. It is ALL going to
> die eventually.

this point was nailed into me at a young age, when i was working in a
computer store (remember those).  a local architect used to
buy/service computers with us.  she came in one day with a broken PC
(hard drive failed).  she broke down in tears in the middle of the
store when i told her the drive failed and the data was gone.  she'd
been working on a massive autocad project for like 2yrs.

old drive went to drivesavers (they did get the data back, horray!),
she bought a new hard drive and floppy based tape drive and started
backing up her project each night