[Beowulf] BeeGFS usage question

Joe Landman joe.landman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 18:44:34 PDT 2017

On 06/28/2017 09:39 PM, Christopher Samuel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A few folks were chatting about HPC distributed filesystems over on the
> Australian HPC sysadmin Slack and the question arose about whether
> anyone is using BeeGFS for non-scratch (persistent) storage.
>
> So, is anyone doing that?

I have a number of (former) customers using it as primary storage. You
set up mirrored metadata, mirrored data, and you get a nice HA-like
system (they have some issues with HA daemons, but I understand this is
being worked on and will be delivered soon).

It is IMO excellent for this.  Back it with zfs on the units, distribute
your metadata and mirror it.

> Also, is anyone doing that with CephFS too?

Can be done, but I know very few people using it (again some former
prospective customers).  CephFS is somewhat behind for this use case,
though it should be reasonably stable/performant.

--
Joe Landman
e: joe.landman at gmail.com
t: @hpcjoe