[Beowulf] Register article on Epyc

Brian Dobbins bdobbins at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 09:04:34 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Christopher Samuel <samuel at unimelb.edu.au>
wrote:

> I thought it interesting that the only performance info in that article
> for Epyc were SpecINT and (the only mention for SpecFP was for Radeon).

As did I, but a little digging shows a STREAM benchmark (on AMD's page)
showing +25% performance of a single-socket Epyc vs. a dual-socket E5-2690
v4 Broadwell system[1], and roughly 60% better specfp_rate2006 numbers when
comparing socket-to-socket[2].  When I read stuff like this, I feel a
little bit like Charlie Brown going to kick the football, and *hoping* it's
not going to get whisked away by Lucy... but right now, this looks pretty
impressive, especially given the memory bandwidth issues on Xeons on some
codes.

  [1]
http://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/AMD-EPYC-SoC-Delivers-Exceptional-Results.pdf
  [2]
http://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/AMD-EPYC-SoC-Sets-4-World-Records.pdf

  Since those are both AMD links, and not independent, take a grain of salt
with them, but I harbor some optimism, and would love to get my hands on
one.  We'll see.

  Cheers,
  - Brian