[Beowulf] Mobos for portable use

Hamilton, Scott scott.hamilton at atos.net
Mon Jan 23 13:22:26 PST 2017

I am well aware of the program at Georgia Tech.  I believe my book on Parallel Programming with MPI is used as a supplementary text for their course.  Most University offer courses in Parallel Programming, but the problem is that they are not required courses and there are many other courses that sound a lot more interesting as their major electives.  Among those of game programming, and graphics.  It is not that the courses are not available, they are just not widely taken.  At Missouri S&T they only offer the parallel programming course every other year because the demand for the course is too low.  I am part of an International group on HPC Training and Teaching.  We have found that across industry and academia there is a real lack of programmers that understand, or have even been taught parallel concepts.  The team was developed to assist adding parallel concepts into the standards for CS and CE degrees.  The group has been active for about 5 years and have finally gotten some accreditation boards to consider modifying the standard requirements to include more Parallel programming concepts in the standard courses.

I never meant to insinuate that the courses were not available, but more to say we in industry and academia both need to push for the education to include these concepts as we move toward more parallelism in computing systems as a whole.  I am very passionate about getting the message out on the education front.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Hamilton
Solution Architect II