[Beowulf] HPC cloud bursting providers?

Lev Lafayette lev.lafayette at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Feb 23 10:49:42 PST 2017

On Wed, 2017-02-22 at 10:02 +1100, Christopher Samuel wrote:
> On 21/02/17 12:40, Lachlan Musicman wrote:
>
> > I know that it's been done successfully here by the University of
> > Melbourne's Research Platforms team - but they are bursting into the non
> > commercial Aust govt Open Stack installation Nectar.

In context that was after (a) small test cases of cloud bursting worked
and (b) cloud bursting was used to replace our existing cloud partition.

> So now they just provision extra VM's when they need more and add them
> to Slurm and given demand doesn't seem to go down there hasn't been a
> need to take any away yet. :-)

Watch this space ;)

> So this doesn't really reflect what Jeff was asking about as it's all
> the same infrastructure, it's not hitting remote clouds where you have
> to figure out how you are going to see your filesystem there, or how to
> stage data.

Very much so. The ability to set up an additional partition to external
providers (e.g., amazon, azure, any openstack provider) is much less of a
problem that the interconnect issues which are quite significant.

All the best,

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA
(Tech Mngmnt) (Chifley)