[Beowulf] HPC cloud bursting providers?

Lev Lafayette lev.lafayette at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Feb 20 18:44:47 PST 2017

On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 12:40 +1100, Lachlan Musicman wrote:
> I know that it's been done successfully here by the University of
> Melbourne's Research Platforms team - but they are bursting into the
> non commercial Aust govt Open Stack installation Nectar.
> http://nectar.org.au

More specifically, part of Melbourne's node of NeCTAR is used a
partition for our HPC system, Spartan. We have tested cloud-bursting
with a further partition (reading 'bursting' as the ability to quickly
deploy a set of additional resources more or less "on demand"). We're
introducing external cloud partitions as well to the system.

Short version is the use of a cloud partition works really well for us,
and in particular suits our user profile in terms of the jobs they run
etc.

All the best,

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA
(Tech Mngmnt) (Chifley)