[Beowulf] Suggestions to what DFS to use

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Feb 14 22:11:56 PST 2017

On 15/02/17 17:03, John Hanks wrote:

> When we were looking at a possible GPFS client license purchase we ran
> the client on our nodes and did some basic testing. The client did give
> us a bit of a boost in performance over NFS, but still we could tip GPFS
> over with a small fraction of our available nodes.

Wow that's odd, how large are your clusters?

We were hitting ours with 2 Intel clusters (1,000+ cores each) and 4
racks of BlueGene/Q (65,5535 cores, 4096 nodes).

However, we do have our GPFS metadata on an SSD array connected to 2
dedicated NSD servers (active/active) and our SFA10K's are frontended by
4 NSD servers each (again active/active pairs to give redundancy).

cheers,
Chris