[Beowulf] Cluster Authentication (LDAP,NIS,AD)

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 28 01:29:55 PST 2017

Robert,
I will back up what Lachlan said.
I set up a new HPC facility for the University of Greenwich in the UK,
which uses sssd to authenticate against a campus AD.
One thing to remember - campus wide you have everyone in the AD. SO do the
following:

a) create a new group called 'HPC-users'and restrict the logins to
HPC-users only (and maybe HPC-admins also!)

b) you can automate the creation of home directories using a PAM plugin on
Redhat
See https://access.redhat.com/discussions/903523
I recommend against the oddjob version of pam_mkhomedir - ti did nto behave
too well, and the 'normal' version worked just fine.

Also you might want an /etc/profile.d script which wil create areas on your
scratch/parallel storage for users when they first log in

Where I work as the moment we use nslcd rather than sssd.  I Was told there
was an issue with sssd, but I forget what it was exactly.

One tip with sssd, I found that when initially working with it I had to do
a wipe of the cache and a forced reload.
The documentation is there on how to do that. Do not be afraid to do this -
the procedure sounds scary but works perfectly well.
sssd  caches things quite aggressively so you might have to restart it to
get the 'ground truth' sometimes.

sssd also has a very odd behaviour when you have a very large number of
groups (probably as MIT has)
It creates a huge sparse file for groups (or something similar). The file
looks scarily big - but being sparse of course it is not really.
Just a quirk of how it works I gather, sont let my comment put you off.