[Beowulf] Thoughts on git?

Brian Oborn linuxpunk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 08:41:37 PST 2017

I argue that using a source control system of any kind is useful for
answering the questions like "This was working 6 months ago. What have I
changed since then?" or "This line of code to work around feature X is odd.
When did I change it and what was my motivation at the time?"

Git has the advantage that it doesn't require a server to track the commits
for a single person so you could just use it on a local filesystem with
normal file-level backups. That would reduce the complexity quite a bit.

Brian Oborn