[Beowulf] slow jobs when run through queue

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Dec 6 10:35:11 PST 2017

Of course, if you charge for your cluster time, that hurts them in the wallet, since they pay for all the allocated unused time.  If you don’t charge (which is the case for us) it’s hard to incentivise them not to do this.  Shame works, a bit.  We publish cluster analytics showing CPU efficiency and memory efficiency league tables for the users, and that has had some good effects in the past...

Tim