[Beowulf] Troubleshooting NFS stale file handles

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 19 12:21:00 PDT 2017

Hi Prentice,

three questions (not necessarily to you and it can be dealt with in a different
thread too):

- why automount and not a static mount?
- do I get that right that the nodes itself export shares to other nodes?
- has anything changed? I am thinking of something like more nodes added, new
programs being installed, more users added, generally a higher load on the
cluster.

One problem I had in the past with my 112 node cluster where I am exporting
/home, /opt and one directory in /usr/local to all the nodes from the headnode
was that the NFS-server on the headnode did not have enough spare servers
assigned and thus was running out of capacity. That also lead to strange
behaviour which I fixed by increasing the numbers of spare servers.

The way I have done that was setting this in
/etc/default/nfs-kernel-server

# Number of servers to start up
RPCNFSDCOUNT=32

That seems to provide the right amount of servers and spare ones for me.
Like in your case, the cluster was running stable until I added more nodes
*and* users decided to use them, i.e. the load of the cluster got up. A more
idle cluster did not show any problems, a cluster under 80 % load suddenly had
problem.

I hope that helps a bit. I am not the expert in NFS as well and this is just
my experience. I am also using Debian nfs-kernel-server 1:1.2.6-4 if that
helps.

All the best from a sunny London

Jörg