[Beowulf] HPC and Licensed Software

Chris Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Sat Apr 15 00:25:32 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 15 April 2017 8:11:41 AM AEST John Hearns wrote:

> There are similar job prolog scripts around for Moab I am sure.

Back when I ran Moab at VPAC and VLSCI we used Moab's support for FlexLM as
documented here:

http://docs.adaptivecomputing.com/mwm/archive/6-0/13.5nativerm.php#flexlm

Basically it uses a Perl script to poll FlexLM for the tokens you care about
and creates a resource that you can request in your batch job.

Of course this doesn't stop people submitting jobs without asking for the
resource or, if external people have access to the license server, others from
consuming them in between the job starting and your batch job using them, but
that's FlexLM for you.. :-(

cheers,
Chris