[Beowulf] HPC and Licensed Software

Richter, Brian J {BIS} Brian.J.Richter at pepsico.com
Fri Apr 14 11:41:08 PDT 2017

Thanks a lot, Ed. I will be going the NAT route!

Brian J. Richter
Global R&D Senior Analyst • Information Technology
617 W Main St, Barrington, IL 60010
For a couple years we did NAT through our head node for checking out licenses (including StarCCM) and talking to Red Hat Satellite. We’re now transitioning to fully routed networks for our compute nodes, but NAT did the job well.

--
Ed Swindelles
Manager of Advanced Computing

We just built our first HPC and I have what seems like a rather dumb question regarding best practices and compute nodes. Our HPC setup is currently small, we have a HeadNode which runs MOAB/Torque and we have 4 compute nodes connected with IB. The compute nodes are on their own private network. My question is, what is the best way to handle software that requires licenses to run on the compute nodes? For instance we are trying to get STARCCM+ up and running on the cluster, the license server is on our general user network, the headnode is also on the user network, but when we submit a job to torque for STARCCM it keeps throwing errors that the software cannot connect to the license server. Is it best practice to create a network path from the compute nodes out to the license server through the HeadNode? I feel like I’m missing something really simple here.

Thanks!