[Beowulf] non-stop computing

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 08:15:01 PDT 2016

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Justin Y. Shi <shi at temple.edu> wrote:
> Snapshot restart would only work for you if your application leaves
> restarting points on the disk. Otherwise restarting the snapshot is the same
> as restarting the program.

the program does not checkpoint to disk.

my cursory look through the kvm manual seemed to instigate that the
qcow2 image also snaps the memory into the image.  i can't argue the
point one way or the other though.

the functionality that I hope exists is; pause a VM (cpu/memory/disk),
save it all off into a file, then some point later resume the saved
off image exactly where it was paused like nothing happened

whether it works that way or not, i can't say, that's what i was going to test.