[Beowulf] non-stop computing

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Wed Oct 26 10:31:25 PDT 2016

On 10/26/2016 10:22 AM, Joe Landman wrote:

> On 10/26/2016 10:20 AM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>> How so? By only having a single seat or node-locked license?
>
> Either ... for licensed code this is a non-starter.   Which is a shame
> that we still are talking about node locked/single seat in 2016.

In my world (academic research), we use mostly open-source or have
campus-wide site licenses, so this is not much of an issue. Even when I
worked in private industry (pharmaceutical/drug discovery) we used a
decent amount of open-source code, so this was seldom ever an issue.

I agree it's a shame that companies still choose to license their
software on a per-node or per-seat basis. Pretty ridiculous in todays
clustered world. I think Red Hat learned that lesson the hard way. I've
seen very few clusters with RHEL, but many with CentOS and Scientific Linux.

It's also a shame when managers choose to pinch pennies and buy only one
seat when two or three would greatly increase productivity. I've seen
that mistake, too.

Prentice