[Beowulf] more automatic building

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Oct 6 15:32:42 PDT 2016

On 06/10/16 20:46, Remy Dernat wrote:

> The main idea is to have a stable OS on the hardware that you do not
> need to (re-)install anymore but just some containers that you can move
> or resize to fit your needs.

Have you looked at Shifter for an additional string to your bow?

Let's you convert Docker containers into a software container that you
can use on a cluster, including via MPI.  Includes plugins for Slurm as
well.

https://github.com/NERSC/shifter/

>From our point of view it's interesting as it lets a user build a
container with their software stack and then import it into Shifter on
our cluster to use it there.

All the best,
Chris