[Beowulf] Most common cluster management software, job schedulers, etc?

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Tue Mar 8 12:38:58 PST 2016

Jeff,

Many of the applications (within each group) do
the basics. It really depends on the level
of features, project/community activity, and support you need.
For instance some projects are great, but they have
not been touched in years while others need a bit time
investment to get working.

Also, if you are looking to get a high level overview
of HPC (a little dated, no GPU coverage however) You can
also have a look at the free AMD "HPC for Dummies"

  http://insidehpc.com/2012/09/free-download-hpc-for-dummies/

--
Doug

> Hello all. I am just entering the HPC Sales Engineering role, and would
> like to focus my learning on the most relevant stuff. I have searched near
> and far for a current survey of some sort listing the top used
> “stacks”, but cannot seem to find one that is free. I was breaking
> things down similar to this:
>
> OS disto:  CentOS, Debian, TOSS, etc?  I know some come trimmed down, and
> also include specific HPC libraries, like CNL, CNK, INK?
>
> MPI options: MPICH2, MVAPICH2, Open MPI, Intel MPI, ?
>
> Provisioning software: Cobbler, Warewulf, xCAT, Openstack, Platform HPC, ?
>
> Configuration management: Warewulf, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, ?
>
> Resource and job schedulers: I think these are basically the same thing?
> Torque, Lava, Maui, Moab, SLURM, Grid Engine, Son of Grid Engine, Univa,
> Platform LSF, etc… others?
>
> Shared filesystems: NFS, pNFS, Lustre, GPFS, PVFS2, GlusterFS, ?
>
> Library management: Lmod, ?
>
> Performance monitoring: Ganglia, Nagios, ?
>
> Cluster management toolkits: I believe these perform many of the functions
> above, all wrapped up in one tool?  Rocks, Oscar, Scyld, Bright, ?
>

> Does anyone have any observations as to which of the above are the most
> common?  Or is that too broad?  I  believe most the clusters I will be
> involved with will be in the 128 - 2000 core range, all on commodity
> hardware.
>
> Thank you!
>
> - Jeff
>

> --