[Beowulf] AMD cards with integrated SSD slots

C Bergström cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Thu Jul 28 09:06:27 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:56 PM, Kilian Cavalotti
<kilian.cavalotti.work at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Prentice Bisbal <pbisbal at pppl.gov> wrote:
>> Are you talking CPUs or GPUs? As far as their GPUs, when AMD released their
>> FirePro S9150 GPU, it was signficantly faster than NVidia's K40. I don't
>> think NVidia has released anything new that can beat it yet. The K80 is
>> really just 2 K40s in one package.  I haven't been keeping up with industry
>> news as much recently, so NVidia could have come out with something better
>> since then.
>
> :)
>
> Yes, NVIDIA released a bunch of Pascal-based GPUs lately, among which
> the GTX1080 provides almost twice as many FLOPS as the s9150.

Not so fast! Are you talking half, single or double precision?
Speaking from the perspective of someone who has one of each of those
cards installed, you may want to benchmark and verify things before
you claim 2x performance.

The GP100, which has extremely limited availability and it may be a
better comparison, but again I'd say lets compare real world numbers.

The s9300 part has a mammoth amount of HBM bandwidth on the card..

Dum dee doo.... I welcome hard real world numbers from anyone who can
produce them.