[Beowulf] NUMA zone weirdness

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 18 01:42:21 PST 2016

Just another quick thought on this.
The routine pio.c steps through all NUMA zones and checks they are online.
As we all know (yes, here come the war stories again... zzz) I used to
manage an Untraviolet which had 128 NUMA zones.
I guess I never saw it boot up with any NUMA zones disabled - and probably
I woud have had kittens if that happened.
But looks like the Omnipath driver would check all 128 are online before

ps. to make it a bit clearer - thats what clued me into this problem.  I
tried to run a simple HPL on one of those nodes,
with Intel MPI and got back a Hydra failure.  Checking through dmesg I saw
a failure in the loading of the hfi1 driver,
and had to look at the driver code which was causing this error message.
then homed on on pio.c looking at the online status.

Clearly in my case the NUMA zones were 0 and 2  -  so looping 0,1 found
that 1 was offline!