[Beowulf] Parallel programming for Xeon Phis

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Aug 24 13:54:43 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 04:44:03PM +0000, John Hearns wrote:

> OK, I guess that the state of the art for a FORTRAN Compiler in the
> 60s is pitiful compared to the sophisticated compilers we have
> today.

Actually, Fortran was designed to be optimized, and IBM's first
compiler was an optimizing compiler. A compiler/language co-design, if
you will. It wasn't very sophisticated compared to today's compilers,
but it was extremely sophisticated for its era.

As for Doug's comments about Summit and Sierra being co-designs, I
think that's great. InfiniPath's design was focused on building the
smallest possible chip that did what MPI needed. I've always wondered
what would have happened to Myricom had they redesigned their chip to
do exactly what their MX software interface needed.

-- greg