[Beowulf] bring back 2012?

Stu Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 06:52:22 PDT 2016

>  * try and get a permit to hold large volumes of it in a computer room
>
>  * try and find a computer room that will allow it in
>
>  * the above two are mostly due to the low boiling point of the fluid
>
> I understand that. That's why they are usually closed systems.  I would
> like to point out at SC, several booths had open tanks of the stuff on the
> exhibitors floor. I believe IBM says it's safe, but I wouldn't want to take
> my chances breathing it in every day.

Closed systems are almost worst... their is the possibility of explosion
(not due to fire, but more the compressed gas explosion).  Go and read your
local juristrictions's requirements for hazardous materials (which ALL
these fluids are classified as).  Being closed doesn't really count for
much and may work against you (ie. you may have to prove to the local fire
department - people who have NO IDEA what you are doing - that your closed
system can handle the pressure of the vapour it is containing).

Novec is a common fluid used in fire suppression systems in computer
rooms... so you shouldn't have too much of an issue with the flammability
of the fluid, but it is an entirely different issue to get them to warrant
the solution.

Perhaps the final nail in the coffin of the Novec solutions... it has been
on many different booths at SC for many years... now go and try to find a
vendor that will actually sell you a solution...

--
Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at sdm900.com