[Beowulf] urgent: cost of fire suppression?

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 21 16:36:03 PDT 2016

Interesting stuff

Kind of like the fog nozzle used by firefighters which is more effective than the traditional “stream of water”.

However, they do say "Nearly zero wetting of protected areas”  - nearly zero isn’t zero, but if combined with an emergency power off, then it could work.  And anyway, the real goal is to get people out of there before they’re burned or inhale toxic smoke.

I’m kind of surprised they don’t have any video of a real fire being suppressed: that animation is from 2009, and if they’ve been in business selling these things for 5-6 years, presumably they’ve had at least one success story?  They’ve got that white paper showing that the computer keeps on running while they discharge, but does it really put out fires?

Jim