[Beowulf] What happened to AMD GPU?

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 4 11:59:26 PST 2015

M,

You're reading his original e-mail wrong. He didn't say AMD GPUs had a
30-40% advantage over NVidia. He's asking IF people would switch to AMD
if that were true.

Personally, I think it would have to be much more than 30-40%. The next
NVidia card would probably provide that kind of improvement, so most
NVidia owners would just wait for the next generation of NVidia product
to come out instead of switching to another processor and port their
code. How much better? I'd say at least 100%. You can't just have better
performance, you need an overwhelming performance advantage to convince
people who are already using CUDA to switch. 30-40% isn't going to do it.

If you can't do that, you have to go after new users who haven't started
using CUDA yet, provide them with a value alternative to NVidia. Since a
lot of public codes already support CUDA, you'd have to go after users
writing their own code, preferably at the start of a project who haven't
already invested in  CUDA.

Prentice