[Beowulf] What happened to AMD GPU?

C Bergström cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Wed Mar 4 11:07:28 PST 2015

This is part shameless self promotion, but also meant to stir some discussion..

Take a look at some of the recent top results for SPEC ACCEL
http://spec.org/accel/results/accel_acc.html
/* It may not seem like much, but I can say that is the visible result
to a heck of a lot of work */

I have to word this carefully, but after that was submitted we fixed a
cooling issue and the score went higher.. expect better public results
in 2 weeks. (Anyone want to party at GTC?)

Frankly, it's visible we still aren't the best performance on some
codes.. Those issues basically fall into two camps and we're working
on it.
-----------
Having said this..
Would anyone build an AMD GPU cluster if
1) The GPU was 30-40% faster than a K40
2) It cost less
3) OpenACC/OpenMP4/CUDA programming models were high performance and supported
4) More oncard ram
The s9150 is a top end card and priced relatively in the same ballpark
as the competition..

Forgive me for sounding like a salesperson.
If you don't need all the ram on the card - there's the w8100 (with
fan on the card)  - $1050 on Newegg! (Why do I feel like an
infomercial)

I have 2x w8100 in a server for benchmarking and they are nice GPU.
Not as fast as a K40, but beats other cards.