[Beowulf] gpu+server health monitoring -- ensure system cooling

Paul McIntosh paul.mcintosh at monash.edu
Sun Jun 7 18:14:35 PDT 2015

we use nvidia-smi also

You should also keep an eye out for GPU ECC errors as we have found these are good predictors of bad things happening due to heat. Generally you should see none.

In the past we had major issues with the node heat sensors being designed around detecting CPU heat and not the GPU's living in the same box. A firmware upgrade fixed the issue but the ECC checks where the thing that best found the problem nodes.

Cheers,

Paul