[Beowulf] job scheduler and accounting question

Michael Gutteridge michael.gutteridge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 15:25:59 PDT 2015

I'll put in a plug for Slurm.  I'd say it's got the features you need and
it scales up really well.

Accounting:  it can write to file, but you're best off configuring the
database backend (MySQL, Mariadb).  Then there's both the built-in sacct
tool and (if you're so inclined) queries directly against the database.

It can also be set up to track job resource usage.

CGROUPS:  I've only used it in our test cluster, but I found it pretty
straight forward.  There's both cgroup limits and scheduler-enforced limits.

As far a setting up easy shell access, we've written a wrapper that uses
the "srun --pty /bin/bash" command to drop users into a shell on a compute
node.

If you've the budget, we've found the support offered by SchedMD to be a
good value as well.  The community is pretty helpful if that's sufficient
for your environment.

I'd used Torque/Moab as well as Slurm/Moab in past.  Those worked well, but
we've found that the pure Slurm answer has been more than satisfactory for
our cluster (a smallish, ~2000 core capability compute system).

Hope that helps.

Michael