[Beowulf] Docker vs KVM paper by IBM

Gavin W. Burris bug at wharton.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 28 09:23:33 PST 2015

Docker does seem to be quite the enabler.  It seems to be enabling
sloppy programmers, and encouraging users that don't know how to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to go straight for root access.  Too many cooks and all.

On 06:10PM Wed 01/28/15 +0100, Andrew Holway wrote:
> This is the problem that I think everyone using Docker now is looking to
> > solve.  How can you distribute an app in a reasonable manner an remove all
> > of the silliness you don't need in the app distribution that the base OS
> > can solve.
> >

> Its seems to encourage users to "do whatever they want in the container;
> bypassing years of hard work by the Linux distributions." We recently threw
> out docker as a technology and are instead using RPM's as it kind of forces
> us to answer all the hard questions such as "what about SELinux" and "How
> do we drop privileges". Docker was encouraging us to do very sloppy work.

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania