[Beowulf] 10G networking?

Carsten Aulbert Carsten.Aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Fri Jan 23 02:38:00 PST 2015

Hi Mark

On 01/23/2015 07:36 AM, Mark Hahn wrote:

> It seems like 10gT is on the cusp of real volume-type prices: I saw a
> quote today for a major-vendor 24pt switch for something like $140/port
> after educational discounts.  I know 10gT is somewhat higher latency
> than other PHYs - or is it worth sticking to SFP+?  Any comments on
> latency properties of various switches?  Any nice results of recent
> hardware and OpenMX?

We have been using 10g CX4 for the past 7yrs for our cluster core
network and are just going fully into 10gT. But our focus is more on
bandwidth/HTC instead of HPC, i.e. we do not care so much about latencies.

Do you have any particular tests in mind, we can certainly look into it
and report back on our findings.

Cheers

Carsten

--
Dr. Carsten Aulbert - Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Callinstrasse 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany