[Beowulf] Haswell as supercomputer microprocessors

Chris Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Aug 3 06:12:09 PDT 2015

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 12:06:27 PM Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:

> Current Intel Haswell E5 v3 may also have 18 = 2**4 +2 cores.  Is there some
> sense to try POWER BQC or SPARC64 XIfx ideas (not exactly), and use only 16
> Haswell cores for parallel computations ? If the answer is "yes", then how
> to use this way under Linux ?

Doing this with Linux predates BGQ for instance - the whole cpuset idea came
from SGI and was used on their Itanic Altix systems to provide a boot CPU set
that would have all system processes confined into and then the rest of the
cores were available for jobs.

When we used to use Torque I agitated for cpuset support, and for it to be
done in a way that would allow this.

We use Slurm now, but I've never looked at how easy to make it work in the
boot cpuset type mode - it's probably just a matter of telling it there are
N-1 cores per node and ensuring that it doesn't try and claim the same core
you're using as the boot cpuset. :-)

Best of luck!
Chris