[Beowulf] C-States and Latency

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Feb 20 18:44:36 PST 2014

On 02/20/2014 05:23 PM, Kevin Van Workum wrote:
> Does anyone have a real-world application where setting
> intel_idle.max_cstate=0 and processor.max_cstate=0 actually makes a
> difference wrt application or network latency?

Stability actually with kernels from 3.2-3.10 and certain motherboard
and processor combos.  There are some *nasty* bugs in ASPM and other
things, and we've observed crashes in cstate transitions in CPUs.  The
only way we've discovered to prevent these hangs in cpu_idle and other
related functions was specifically to disable most of the cstate
transitions.

Some of these stability issues would take down a variety of kernel
subsystems.  This led to very odd crashes where parts of the kernel were
still working, but other parts we stuck in some work queue.  Eventually
the whole thing would crash.

Later 3.10.+ kernels don't seem to have these issues (I never bisected
to find the bad/good transition points though).