[Beowulf] Putting /home on Lusture of GPFS

Bill Wichser bill at princeton.edu
Tue Dec 23 18:09:18 PST 2014

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Prentice Bisbal
> <prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu> wrote:
>> I was discussing putting /home and /usr/local for my cluster on a GPFS or
>> Lustre filesystem, in addition to using it just for /scratch.

We too have debated this.  Seems a waste to add some 8 or 20 T to a
local cluster when we have this nice, central filesystem available. And
it's not like the users aren't already using it for everything now
anyway.  Yet we always come back to locality of data.  Or at least
locality of the login directory.  The three filesystems versus one
filesystem, well, it seems attractive.  Not only to admins but to users
as well.

In the end, while we'd like to consolidate everything in one place,
there are reasons not to do so.  I suppose the strongest is that
clusters are dynamic whereas that central storage, not so much. There
were Sandybridge executables, then Westmere, then Ivy. Haswell is just
beginning.  So a new cluster with a local home is a great place for
these execs, keeping architecture codes distinct. If for no other reason
this has perpetuated the current method of keeping these local /home
directories.

I have other reasons as well.  But that is perhaps my strongest this month.

Bill