[Beowulf] Open source and the Draft Report of the Task Force on High Performance Computing

Gavin W. Burris bug at wharton.upenn.edu
Thu Aug 28 06:31:58 PDT 2014

Hi, C.

Yes, there are many closed source, domain-specific, proprietary tools, and I
like them!  Any full HPC stack has many open source pieces as functional
components.  One cannot pick what does or does not count.

To this reports defense, it does read as if to reference the near future, a
future where we throw out all existing code and start from scratch.  The report
seems to be making a sci-fi-esque call for a complete rethink and reinvention
of billions-and-billions of lines of code.  Very admirable.

Cheers.

--
Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing