[Beowulf] Nvidia and IBM create GPU interconnect for faster supercomputing

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Tue Apr 1 17:34:25 PDT 2014

I want to reply with a witty remark about American businesses and
competition, but I just can't right now. Please think of one on your own
and attribute it to me.

Prentice

On 04/01/2014 11:50 AM, Jörg Saßmannshausen wrote:
> Hi Prentice,
>
> my wrong, I don't think in these ways. I was simply thinking about a wider
> market to the advantage of the users. I forget that companies see things
> differently. ;-)
>
> All the best from a warm London
>
> Jörg
>
> On Tuesday 01 Apr 2014 16:38:54 Prentice Bisbal wrote:

>>> I guess given the IBM Lenovo deal IBM likely have no interest on their
>>> part, so I suppose it'll come down to whether Intel and/or AMD feel
>>> its worth their time investing in it.
>>>
>>> Given that AMD and nVidia are both ARM licensees perhaps they may
>>> choose to go down that path to keep Intel out in the cold?
>> Why would IBM/NVIDIA want this to work with Intel/AMD chips? As a
>> business strategy, I think they want to compete with Intel/AMD in the
>> HPC market. Keeping this technology limited to IBM/NVIDIA collaborations
>> can give them a competitive advantage with Intel. Look at the advantage
>> IBM's networking gave the Blue Gene systems.
>>
>> Besides, Intel has been buying up interconnect companies, so they're
>> probably working on their own competitor to this. Why would they want to
>> compete with their own products?
>>
>> --
>> Prentice

Prentice Bisbal
Manager of Information Technology
Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute (RDI2)
Rutgers University
http://rdi2.rutgers.edu