[Beowulf] Admin action request

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 06:52:08 PST 2013

Well I'm sorry but Christopher I think just "unacceptable" is facile.
Are spam and copyright infringement acceptable (hypothetically)? Presumably
not. Do we have an option besides unsubscribing? Do we want the rule "spam
is unacceptable but talking about it is also unacceptable"? Flamewars are
bad, agreed, but if we need some enunciated policy (to deal with issues
that come up, currently spam and copyright infringement) then shouldn't it
be discussed?

In the old days, we had multiple lists. "On Topic" lists restricted to
(mostly technical) discussions; then also "Off Topic" lists, which
permitted disputation and even flamewars (which could be entertaining when
the readers are voluntary) and we'd just subscribe to whichever ones suited
us. Such division by itself doesn't prevent people flaming or trolling or
spamming to an "on Topic" list, but in those primitive Old Days the admins
wielded Clue Bats with Executive Discretion.

What do you recommend here?

I just don't think saying "play nice" is sufficient when some of us object
to behaviours of some of us, and we can't seem to get on the same page by
merely playing nice.
Perhaps we need a Google Group (free easy way to set up a discussion
without a server) for "Beowulf List [Manners|Administriva|Policy]
Discussion". I don't like the subject any more than you do, but if people
are experiencing problems then I'll subscribe myself, fwiw.

Peter

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:55 AM, Christopher Samuel