[Beowulf] Docker in HPC

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Nov 26 15:04:48 PST 2013

I know there was some discussion of this previously, and I wanted to
point out this update

http://blog.docker.io/2013/11/docker-0-7-docker-now-runs-on-any-linux-distribution/

Interesting that the AUFS dependence is now not blocking things.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to play with it in a few weeks in an HPC
context, to see what the container performance cost is (if anything).
Hopefully quite low.

If someone has already done this, please post a link.

This is an OS level virtual system.  Not a hypervisor, or a paravisor,
so it *should*, in theory, be lower latency.  It looks like we can
generate Docker files trivially from a machine specification in Tiburon,
though we are very JSON centric these days.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com