[Beowulf] 10GbE Adapter Market

Bob Drzyzgula bob at drzyzgula.org
Mon Nov 18 16:35:05 PST 2013

FWIW, a couple of refinements to what's been discussed. COTS actually
stands for "Commercially available Off The Shelf", often shortened to
simply "Commercial Off The Shelf", and it is a legal term defined in the
Federal Acquisition Regulations, or FAR. See

http://www.acquisition.gov/far/html/Subpart%202_1.html#wp1145508

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_off-the-shelf

SOHO, I am quite certain, is *not* defined in the FAR, and really has its
origins, at least as far as I can recall, as a bit of jargon used in trade
and consumer magazines of the early personal computer era. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_office/home_office

A Netgear 16-port gigabit switch that sells for $200 is both SOHO and COTS.
A Cisco Nexus 7718 18-slot chassis switch is still COTS but in no way,
shape, manner or form SOHO.

Also, Jim's point about U.S. law giving the government the best price on
all products is missing one essential point: The requirement only extends
to products sold under a specific set of terms and conditions. Thus, it is
quite legal -- and common -- for an entity to sell the government a COTS
item, say a hammer, at one price, and yet sell it at a lower price in an
online storefront. This is allowed because when the government buys it,
they as a buyer insist on a whole raft of rights that are not offered with
that online sale to a consumer. Moreover, if something is offered by
resellers, there no rule requiring them all to sell at the same, "lowest"
price; you can see this, for example, by browsing the pricing on GSA's own
online shopping site -- https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/ -- where for any
random item you can often find several vendors with GSA contracts for the
same item at different prices. And those of you who routinely buy gear will
probably look through there and scream "I get better prices than that".
Yes, and actually the Government often does as well, by doing a competitive
solicitation with a modified terms and conditions.

[BTW, that site is also a great place to find ballpark prices for items for
which prices aren't typically advertised and you typically have to waste
your time talking to a salesman. Not everything is in there, but if you
want to get a quick idea of how much, say, a 3par storage array will cost,
you can probably find someone listing it there]

--Bob