[Beowulf] Pony: not yours.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu May 16 08:55:03 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:45:21AM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:

> anyone have an url on this topic?  fundamentally, I've always reasoned that
> since we exist in 3d, our networks need to be a 3d lattice at scale.

Yeah, if you're working with nm^3 bits you can only directly couple
to neighbor bits, whether primitive cubic or a closest packing.
FWIW, maximal refresh rate is ~100 PHz for such geometries
(but failure mode will be likely more plasma than corium).

> fighting power (flops, comm) seems like a noble, *engineering* fight,
> but fighting our existence's dimensionality is silly...

It's pretty clear you have to lay down virtual traces in
crystalline hardware like http://people.csail.mit.edu/nhm/cc.pdf
Notice that you can get viral capsids to crystallize quite nicely,
and they definitely don't want that. So you can build a hierarchical
assembly that produces a macroscopic crystal, if you can do nice
DNA and/or protein tertiary structure design de novo.

> yes, I would like to demo your new blackhole-based interconnect! ;)

What, it ain't even Friday yet?