[Beowulf] OT: PathScale Performance

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Sun May 12 10:37:13 PDT 2013

On 05/13/13 12:19 AM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> Maybe that he, working for pathscale, isn't happy that i noised here
> in this list one day that for none of my applications pathscale is
> faster than any of the other big compilers,
> gcc, intel c++ and visual c++?
rude flamebait, but I'll bite this time
--------------
We've been heavily focusing on GPGPU support and performance
http://www.pathscale.com/images/chart_1.png

Those OpenACC benchmarks are available at
https://github.com/pathscale/KernelGen---Performance-Test-Suite/

We recently worked with a researcher who submitted a paper to SC13 that
included similar results. We were the fastest on a majority of
benchmarks for that paper. (The paper intentionally only included kernel
execution times as the research involved a JIT compiler)
---------
C++ in the past (even now??) has not been the most used language for our
customers or in HPC in general. C++ is growing in HPC popularity and
very important to us though. It's not an easy language and addressing
the issues Vincent may have run into is probably on our long term
roadmap. (We've made a lot of progress with c++ since switching to a
clang based fe though and it may be fixed)