[Beowulf] Utility Supercomputing...

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Mar 4 10:19:37 PST 2013

Am 04.03.2013 um 12:38 schrieb Hearns, John:

>> Utility being a phrase that identifies how one can
>> turn on and off resource at the drop of a hat.  If you are running
>> nodes 100% 365d/y on prem is still a serious win.  If you have the odd
>> monster run, or are in a small shop with no access to large scale
>> compute, utility is the only way to go
>

> That is a good point.
> Something related to that - it is common to report cluster uptime, and the number of jobs being run currently,
> and the number of jobs which have run over a certain time period (or the CPU hours used over a time period).
>
> How common is it to report the occupancy of a cluster - ie the percentage of the theoretical max CPU hours
> which are being used to run useful jobs?

Also revervations need to be taken into account as a separate item IMO. If you reserve some cores for a  big parallel job and you have no small job left which you could use for backfilling you may have idling ones. They are not used, but also not unused as I would define "unused" (something like: free for an unlimited time).

Besides cores also memory usage could be noted. There may be nodes with 15 idling cores out of 16, but the one remaining core is using already all memory inside the node, leaving no room for other jobs.

-- Reuti