[Beowulf] Server Sky - Internet and computation in orbit

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jun 22 14:12:36 PDT 2013

From: "Peter St. John" <peter.st.john at gmail.com<mailto:peter.st.john at gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, June 21, 2013 1:26 PM
To: Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca<mailto:hahn at mcmaster.ca>>
Cc: "beowulf at beowulf.org<mailto:beowulf at beowulf.org>" <beowulf at beowulf.org<mailto:beowulf at beowulf.org>>
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Server Sky - Internet and computation in orbit

I'd love computation on the moon; just as good solar collection as orbit, but radiation shielding from craters. But what about cooling? The article sounded a bit glib. I'm thinking, unless there's appreciable available water, computing in space will be limited to low GHz because heat dissipation would be limited to IR radiation? There's no coolant in space, right? How do satellites deal with that?

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca<mailto:hahn at mcmaster.ca>> wrote:
> The correct location for the Exascale HPC Datacentre of the future is of
> course the Moon.

I apologize for a relatively sober response, but whenever I see
a documentary on geothermal vents in the ocean, I think about
putting exascale DCs down there ;)

all that nice cold water in close proximity to gigawatts of free hot water...