[Beowulf] Bolts of Thunder and Upgraded desktop interconnect silicon....

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 10 22:16:29 PDT 2013

There's a fundamental problem with running data "really fast"... You need
decent transmission lines AND adaptive equalization to make it work. And
the equalization is non-trivial to implement in a robust way.  There's no
way to get the signal off the chip, onto the board, through a connector
and into the wire without some impedance discontinuity.  I'm sure that
thunderbolt shares a lot of commonality at the Physical level with 10Gig
Ethernet: same basic problems, same rates, etc.  I think TB has 4 lanes (2
each direction) running at 5Gbps/lane (roughly)

Just like 10Gig E, TB was apparently optical, and then wound up being
copper.

So what does TB give you that 10GigE doesn't?  Maybe different framing?