[Beowulf] Intel Phi musings

Nico Mittenzwey nico.mittenzwey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Feb 28 08:35:36 PST 2013

On 02/26/2013 10:19 PM, Mark Hahn wrote:
>> unless I bought a server as well. It turns out that you need a compatible
>> motherboard. Supermicro has a helpful list of there models here:
>>
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/Xeon_Phi.cfm
>>
>> Our six month old systems were not compatible.
>
> any idea whether that's true or just S&M spin?

I'm working for an European HPC vendor. We are selling PHIs. Some
motherboards have problems with the card and need at least a BIOS update.
At the moment we are only getting passive cooled PHIs from our
distributors. This might explain the bundling with servers: Supermicro
doesn't want you to run them without proper cooling (and of course, they
want to sell their servers).

I can arrange a test drive on our test machine if anyone is interested.